Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Mommy Madness

Michelle found this article in Newsweek, about how moms find parenting, housekeeping, working, and, like, life, really difficult. I read it and thought, "And?" It bothered me all day, and then, while I was...folding towels...I realized why: they were Pottery Barn People. They have it all, yet they still whine. Now, far be it for me to pass judgement, but hey, it's my blog and I'll say whatever I want to say about people who have it all and then complain about it. Don't you wonder, though? Don't you wonder how they can just be completely unaware of, like, life? That it can be difficult? That maybe what's best for your kids it let them be kids? That music and dancing and sports and tvs in every room maybe aren't creating well-rounded individuals, but just kids who are like every one else in their social-financial class? That maybe what their kids want isn't really the latest pair of Nikes or Juicy Couture tracksuits, but just watching Malcolm In the Middle with their mom or dad? Doesn't striving for perfection really just mean you can't deal if you're not in control? Or am I just way off base here?

4 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger Jen P said...

I couldn't agree more. Couldn't agree more.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Demented M said...

I agree with you but have some further observations....

How many women with IF who have kids are going to overcompensate just like the women in this article? I know I won't, I know you won't, I know not every woman will, but I think many of them will bury themselves in their children and their children's lives. After all, they fought so hard to have a family, they're going to enjoy it if it kills them.

Secondly, what I liked about the article was the connection the author made between the insanity and the lack of a good family friendly public policy. Quality of family life isn't just up to the individual family, society at large has a role to play and it needs to step up to the plate.

Lastly, what I really hated about the article but didn't blog about was the way fathers were marginalized. Yes, our society places more responsibility on the mother, but fathers are not as absent as they were in past generations. Not only did the article ignore their contribution to family life, the fathers got no credit for being the other half of the 'perfect madness' equation. They're struggling too--it's not just a femnist issue.

Okay, I'm done!

Michelle who will never be a pottery barn person, not even if she tried.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Orodemniades said...

Yeah, I wondered where the fathers were too, to be honest. But then I thought, well, maybe they're marginalized by their wives - y'know, trying to create the perfect family so hubby doesn't have to do anything?

And sometimes it's just easier to let someone do all the work, yet reap the benefits...and if that's the case, then some of those men are in for a beeg soopriiize someday...

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger amyesq said...

I know. I thought the exact same thing, Oro. Like maybe if they just, you know, let their kid run around outside and scrape his knee and get his pants dirty once in a damn while, they wouldn't give themselves convulsions over whether they or their kid had the "right" outfit on for Gymboree. There are lots of PBMs (Pottery Barn Moms) in my life and I can safely say I will never be like that. I don't care how long it takes me to have my own/adopt a baby. My kids will have dirty faces, skinned knees and a happy mommy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home